Friday, October 9, 2009

Treasures in Heaven

I was heading to a doctor's appointment for a checkup, traveling a country road that is quite picturesque. Along the way I came upon a curve in the road where horses are usually grazing. As I looked where I normally saw the horses they were replaced by a beautiful, large, white house with pillars along the front. There is a pond that sits in front facing the morning sun. I took a long look or should I say a longing look and just basked in the beauty of it placing myself in that setting thinking "I will probably never have a house like that one."

After a brief pity party, (that did not include God's thoughts) I thought of the rash of hurricanes our state has had over the last few summers and realized how those storms could have leveled that house.

Jesus speaks in Matthew 6: 19-21 of the importance of laying up for yourselves treasures in heaven. His words in this passage tell us to "lay up for ourselves treasures in heaven where neither moth nor rust destroys."

Paul's message in I Corinthians 3: 11-15 is that we are to build on the foundation , which is Jesus Christ. If we build with gold, silver, precious stones, wood , hay or straw these things will not last when tested by fire. Our work is to be those things that will last if tested by fire. Only the things we do to serve others for the sake of the gospel of Jesus Christ will last when tested by fire.

Jesus tells us that we are to give things away, leave things behind, follow Him and we will have treasure in heaven. (Matthew 19:21) "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6:21)


Lord, when I find myself longing for the things of this world, quickly cause me to think of laying up for myself treasures in heaven by giving things away and leaving things behind for the sake of following you and seeing others come to faith in Christ.

No comments: