Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Place of Refuge

Most everyone has a place of refuge they like to retreat to when stress and trouble seem to become overwhelming. It may be a cabin by the lake, cabin in the mountains, condo on the beach or even just the solitude of your own home.

Many times in the Psalms the Lord is referred to as a refuge or hiding place, rock or dwelling place, for His people (Psalm 9:9, Psalm 46:1, Psalm 71:3, Psalm 31: 2, 3, Psalm 91: 1,2).

David knows well the days of deep trouble and stress. He speaks of them many times in the Psalms. David was raised to know the Lord from his childhood. In Psalm 71, he speaks of the Lord being his hope, rock and refuge (vs. 3-5). David says, "For you are my hope, O Lord God; You are my trust from my youth. By You I have been upheld from birth; You are He who took me out of my mother's womb" (vs.5,6). Because of this truth, David says "My praise shall be continually of You."

David knew he could find refuge in the Lord continually. The Hebrew word translated refuge means "dwelling; a place to live." When we are faced with the stress and trouble of life, we need to remember that He is our hiding place and He is our dwelling place. We do not have to go far to find this refuge. He is there if we will, as the Psalmist does, cry out to Him.

I was reminded of that as I traveled this morning in traffic that was beginning to frighten me and cause me great stress. I cried out to Him and He brought me relief.

Having the cabin on the lake or condo at beach is a great place to visit from the stresses of life, but it can never take the place of the refuge we have in the Lord. Let us resort, continually, to the Lord who is our strong refuge.

No comments: