Monday, August 10, 2009

Be Joyful - Jesus Prays for You

As you can see from my recent postings, I have been reading through the gospel of John. I am not sure why but it is my favorite account of Jesus' life. Perhaps it is because John seems to write with a tenderness, compassion and boldness that appeals to me. Certainly we know that John's epistles are full of explaining God's love for us and our love for Him and one another. It seems fitting when I think of John as he walked with Christ as one of His disciples. In fact it is believed that John was often called "the disciple He loved." (John 13:23, John 19:26)

It chapters 13 through 17 Jesus is preparing Himself, His disciples and all who would believe in Him for His death and resurrection. When my husband and I go on trips I start packing 3 days before I leave. I am not a "throw it in the suitcase at the last minute person." I have to have all my "ducks in a row". The newspaper needs to be stopped, the mail needs to be stopped and then there is always the chore of getting someone to take care of our cat - a cat that hates everyone but us and consequently no one is too thrilled about taking care of her.

As I read chapters 13 through 17, I realized Jesus was getting all His "ducks in a row." Because He loved His disciples so much, He was preparing them for His departure. In chapter 17 He prays for Himself. "And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was."
He prays for His disciples. "I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one." Then He prays for you. "I do not pray for these alone but also for those who will believe in Me through their word."

When I think that Jesus was praying for me before I ever knew Him, it brings me great joy. Hebrews 7:25 says "Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him since He always lives to make intercession for them." Jesus prayed for us while He was here on earth and has continued to intercede and pray for His people - you and me after He went to be with the Father. That is why we are "kept" even though at times we may think life is harder than we can handle.

There is much to say about those chapters. I will not take the time to write about it but would encourage you to read John 13 through 17 all together. It is my prayer that you would be blessed and find joy in Jesus' preparation for you. Jesus wants us to have His joy fulfilled in us!

No comments: