Monday, August 31, 2009

Selfish Ambition

Have you ever tried to examine your motives for some of the things you do such as your employment or volunteer work, service in the church, exercise and raising your children to know the Lord? What is the motive behind your "good actions" or "good works"?

Recently I was talking with some friends about a person who is quite knowledgeable in the word and teaches pretty well but we agreed that we were afraid this person's motives were more for selfish gain and conceit rather than caring about those he was serving and teaching.

We cannot and should not judge because it is true that only the Lord knows the heart and the motives. This is one of those places where we are the best judge of our motives and if we are honest with ourselves we can understand why we do the things we do. I believe that is why the Lord through Paul had to tell us in Philippians 2:3,4 "Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself, Let each of you look out not only for his own interests. but also for the interest of others."

Just writing that convicts me. As I examine my own motives I know they are not always pure.
Many times I do things because I think it is expected of me or because I think it helps others think well of me and I realize many times I am not willing to give up my interests to help someone else with their interest particularly if I think my way is better. Ultimately everything we do is to bring glory to God and to serve others.

In verse 2 of Philippians 2 Paul says "fulfill my joys by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind."

Spend some time giving yourself the test. Pick out some of the activities that are important in your life like the list I have in the beginning. Then honestly ask yourself "what is my motive for doing this or being involved in this?" If you find your motives are for selfish ambition or conceit - ways to make you look better, confess it to the Lord.

You're probably thinking "Wow, Merril this is not the most encouraging post." None of us want to see the real us. However, I do leave you with good news. If you do see areas of your life that are for selfish ambition, confess it to the Lord. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)

No comments: