Friday, January 15, 2010

Same Shirt Different Day

I saw a young man wearing a t-shirt that had this slogan on it. We know it was the cleaned up version of what is normally said. I know it was meant to be funny but as with all humor there is an underlying truth. This slogan indicates to me that this person has little hope of getting up in the morning and finding things to be better than the day before. Unfortunately, I know Christians who have this same attitude. They may not say it as crassly but they feel the same. Life is tough for them in some fashion and it just doesn't get any better and they don't think it will be any better tomorrow.

There have been times when I have awakened in the morning with these same thoughts. Reading Lamentations 3: 22-24 I can hear the Lord saying "why do you wake up with no hope? My compassions fail not and they are new every morning including this morning". You may be thinking "Yes, I know the Lord is compassionate to me and I know He is faithful but is He going to change this difficult situation I am in"? In this 3rd chapter of Lamentations we have the prophet Jeremiah telling us "For the Lord will not cast off forever, though He causes grief" (Lamentations 3:31).

God in His mercy and compassion for us does not let us stay in difficult situations with no hope. He may not change the situation. If He does it may not be the way we expect or would like but we can always believe that He will do what brings glory to Him and is best for us and our growing sanctification. Somehow we mistake God's mercy and compassion for indulgence. We think for Him to be compassionate and merciful He has to give us exactly what we want. Just as we do not always give our children those things they want because it may not be the best thing for them, the Lord does not always give us exactly what we want, but what He chooses to give to us will always be good for us.

It is because of the Lord's mercies this day can be different even if the change is in you. The t-shirt should say "Same Mercies Different Day".

No comments: