Thursday, January 28, 2010

Exercise Yourself Toward Godliness

I have been running/walking for the last twenty-one years. I let very little get in the way of my exercise. Many times people compliment me on my commitment to walk or run. The truth is...I love it! It isn't as much a discipline as it is something I love to do. The only thing that keeps me from exercise is a commitment to an appointment. It is the same with my time in the scriptures. I start every morning as best I can with Bible reading and a time spent in prayer. I don't do it out of duty because I know it is good for me. I do it because I love it! It is my lifeline to this life and the next.

Have you ever noticed we usually find time to do the things we enjoy? Whatever it is, however busy the schedule, there will always be room for this activity with some regularity.

In 1 Timothy 3, Paul is writing to Timothy warning him of the great apostasy that will take place and those who will depart from the faith. Paul is teaching Timothy the importance of doctrine and his instruction to others in his ministry. Paul tells Timothy he is to exercise himself to godliness (1Timothy 3: 7). Paul goes on to say, "For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come (1Timothy 3: 8)."

How do we exercise ourselves toward godliness? The Lord has given us music, literature, teachers and preachers for this purpose. However none of that should take the place of our time in the scriptures and prayer with the Lord. If your exercise toward godliness is limited because of your busy schedule be sure the scriptures are your first choice of exercise toward godliness. Pray that the Lord would cause you to love his Word. If we love it we will stay in it. Let us say with the writer of Psalm 119: 97 "Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day."

No comments: