Friday, March 26, 2010

Be Careful What you Ask for!

I'm sure you have heard that statement many times with respect to praying. I like to use the Psalms to personalize prayers for myself. In fact, all of scripture is great for just using the same words to personalize our joys and struggles as we speak to the Lord.

Psalm 26: 2 says "Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my mind and my heart." This morning as I read this Psalm I found myself focusing on this verse. I want the Lord to show me things in my mind and heart that I would not see because of my own selfishness. It is good for the Lord to show us these things so we can seek His ways and His forgiveness. I was about to pray it for myself and when I discovered that another translation for "prove" was "test", I put on the stops for a second. I really thought of the impact of what this prayer would mean. Honestly, I was afraid of the "testing." I wanted to learn but I wanted the easy way. As I pondered for a moment I realized that this "testing" is out of love for me to show me His ways for my good and His glory. I want to be like Him so I moved on to praying that the Lord would indeed show me what was in my mind and heart.

How about you? When was the last time your asked the Lord to prove you and try your mind and heart? It is a scary prayer because our God is Holy and perfect. However, the good news is He has given us the Holy Spirit to do what we could never do to please Him. We can say with David "Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting"(Psalm 139: 23, 24).

No comments: