Friday, March 5, 2010

Sweet Smelling Aroma

What is that wonderful smell? We may smell the aroma of flowers in the spring or a dinner cooking that causes us to look ahead to a delicious meal. On the other hand, there are those odors that cause us to recoil and react just the opposite.

When my husband and I have been in Africa teaching, there have been many parts of these countries that are very poor and very dirty. I have struggled with the odors of what is called "slit trenches" that are used as bathrooms.

II Corinthians 2: 14, 15 speak of an aroma that to those who are being saved is an aroma of life but those who are perishing it is the aroma of death. For those of us who have been saved, we are to God the fragrance of Christ. We are to "walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet smelling aroma" (Ephesians 5:2). I asked myself, "what is the aroma I give off?" Is it the aroma of Christ or the aroma of my own selfishness and sin? Let's not let covetousness, unforgiveness, selfishness, anger or resentment be the aroma that comes from us. Instead of smelling like "slit trenches" that causes others to recoil, let the aroma we give off be" the fragrance of His knowledge in every place" (v.14).

Lord, take from inside of me those things that produce an aroma that is not the fragrance of your knowledge in every place. Fill me with your knowledge as I look to Your word.

P.S. I will be a way on a trip and will not post until March 15, 2010. May the Lord continue His blessings on you.

No comments: