Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Glimpse of Heaven

My husband and my daughter share the excitement of being in heaven one day. I must be honest. I do not share their enthusiasm about being in heaven. Kenny Chesney has a song titled "Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to go now."

I believe many of us in Christ are not excited about heaven because we are not quite sure what it will be like. We know we will be with the Lord as He tells us in Matthew 14 that He is preparing a place for us and He will come again to receive us and that where He is we will be also. Yet for some of us it still does not generate the joy and excitement about heaven that many feel.

When my husband and I participated in a missions conference in Georgia, We stayed with some long time friends that are more like family than friends. On Saturday evening their son and his lovely wife prepared an exquisite meal for us and others who were visiting. There were about 8 of us sitting around the table enjoying one another, enjoying the Lord and giving testimony of His goodness to us in many areas of our lives. Richard and his wife, Katy, were busy preparing each course with perfection and serving us in love. They topped the meal off with a homemade cream puff with a chocolate swirl and a cappuccino, caffe latte or expresso tailor made for each person. After the meal we all continued for hours to enjoy one another as we spoke of the things of the Lord.

When my husband and I went into our room for the night we both said "The time together and the delicious food was such a blessing and a glimpse of what heaven will be like." The next morning it was reported to me that Richard had said the same thing to someone else.

I read in Revelation 21 about the new heaven and the new earth. We are told God will dwell with His people and He will be their God. He will wipe away every tear from our eyes, no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain. All things will be new. I got to thinking about Jesus' words in Matthew of the Lord preparing a place for us and His dwelling with us. I can believe that in the new heaven and new earth we will be eating and feasting on the most wonderful delicacies we could imagine and we will be doing it in His presence and the presence of other believers - people we have loved here on earth.

That meal was a very small glimpse of what heaven will be like and I praise the Lord for that glimpse.

"Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him." I Corinthians 2:9

1 comment:

Trish said...

What a wonderful picture of what the Lord has in store for us!! I am with Pop and Paula; heaven sounds oh so wonderful to me - especially when I think about a place with no sickness, no fatigue, and no food restrictions!! :) And so many more wonderful things that we can't even imagine.