Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My Soul Melts from Heaviness

There are some circumstances in my life that cause me to worry and stress over them from time to time. Yesterday and today I have found myself focusing on those situations. In fact, I woke up with a heavy heart today and said to the Lord "My soul melts from heaviness; strengthen me according to Your word." Perhaps your soul is heavy today.

There are are a lot of books written today to help us manage worry and stress. We know this problem leads to various illnesses. Some folks seem to manage these things well. If we are honest, many of us would admit to allowing worry and stress to wear us down. Henry Ward Beecher said "It is not work that kills men. It is worry. Work is healthy...Worry rusts upon the blade."

The Lord has an antidote for this problem found in Philippians 4: 6,7. "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

We know the verse, in fact I have it memorized so why do I find myself worrying? Because I don't apply what it says. I don't take everything to the Lord in prayer as soon as the worry button is pushed and certainly not with thanksgiving. Even yesterday as I worried over circumstances I neglected this command from the Lord. I just didn't do it and it rolled over today into a morning that has zapped my strength and joy.

Let's be doers of the word, not hearers. Take your worry and stress even now to Him. Take everything to Him. The peace of God will guard your heart and your mind. Then let us move on to verse 8 in that passage. "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy - mediate on these things."

Life is loaded with difficult situations. Worry will never change them. Let us pay to our heavenly Father who then gives us His peace.

Heavenly Father, enable us to place all our worries and fears upon you. Thank you for your peace and for guarding our hearts from these things. Lord let us think upon you for You are praiseworthy.

P.S. My husband and I are going out of town. I will not post until November 18, 2009. May the Lord richly bless you.

No comments: