Friday, November 6, 2009

Hope in God's Mercy

The Lord is righteous in all His ways, gracious in all His works. The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth. He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He also will hear their cry and save them. The Lord preserves all who love Him, but all the wicked He will destroy. (Psalm 145: 17-21) Do you believe this?

Some who read this may say "Yes, I believe it although it is not always my experience." Others may say "I thought I did at one time but now I am not so sure."

My answer is the first. There are many times I read scriptures that speak of the Lord answering our prayers and giving us the desires of our heart and at least for today those things have not been seen in some particular areas I look for them. God does not lie. He is truth. Therefore we have to believe His promises to us in scripture. If we don't then we would say He is a liar.

Again, it is our experience that causes us to doubt. We know we walk by faith and not by sight. (II Corinthians 5:7) However that is difficult to do - for you and me. When we have been praying for friends and loved ones to know Him and as of yet it hasn't happened we can and do become discouraged and find ourselves wondering what verses like this mean.

Psalm 147: 11 says "The Lord takes pleasure in those who fear Him, in those who hope in His mercy." What is hope? "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1)

Write Psalm 145: 17-21 on a 3x5 card. Keep it before you. Study these verses. Cross reference them and mediate on them. Remind yourself constantly that the Lord takes pleasure in you. That is, those who hope in His mercy.

No comments: