Monday, February 1, 2010

"Smile, It Isn't That Bad"

Several years ago I worked the circulation desk at our local library. One morning a man came in, looked at me and said "Smile, it isn't that bad." I was embarrassed. As a person who claims to love the name of the Lord, I did not appear to be very joyful. I realize we cannot walk around every minute of the day with a silly smile plastered on our faces. However, the comment this man made was like a slap to my face. I was reminded of the lack of joy on my face more times than I am willing to admit. I am sure you have noticed people who claim the name of Christ whose faces register very little joy.

Joy is one of the key aspects to our relationship with Christ. The scriptures speak of it many times in many ways. It is one of the fruits of the spirit (Galatians 5:22, 23). In John 15:5 Jesus speaks about being the vine and our need to abide in Him. He tells us these things so that His joy will remain in us and our joy may be full (John 15: 11).

David in Psalm 5 prays for the Lord's guidance in his life. He could find joy even in the midst of enemies pursuing him. He finishes the Psalm with "Let those who love your name be joyful in you (verse 11). Perhaps we do not have joy in our lives which is why many times it does not reflect on our faces. I am sure the pressures of life weigh heavily upon us at times and it shows on our faces. Do we really trust the Lord to guide and protect us as we seek Him?

David says "My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord: in the morning I will direct it to You, and I will look up (verse 3)."

Lord, let me place my trust in you so that I will rejoice from my heart, reflecting Your joy on my face.

No comments: