Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Glow in the Dark

My husband and I have lived in Florida about 15 years. It has suited me perfectly since I love the heat and the sunshine. Before moving here we lived in Georgia. The area we lived in seemed to have a lot of rain and overcast. One day I read about SAD or Seasonal Affective Disorder. I realized I was definitely affected by the lack of sunshine. Many days in a row without sunshine made a difference in the way I think. Things became more discouraging and small obstacles would seem so much bigger. Give me a bright sunny day and I felt like I could conquer the world.

My husband likens me to one of those "glow in the dark" objects. You know the ones - you put them to the light for a while and then place them in a closet and they glow.
That truly is the way I am affected by the sunshine. If I am at a meeting inside all day with florescent lighting I will find a moment or two to go outside and just stand in the sun facing it. After a few minutes I am good to go. I am certainly not proud of this disorder but yet it is the way I am.

In the gospel of John chapter 1 he tells us that Jesus is the true Light. When He came into the world He brought that light and that light shines in the darkness and the darkness did not overcome it. Jesus tells us in Matthew 5 that "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden." He says to "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. When we believe in Jesus Christ and His atonement for us we know that He dwells and lives in us. We have the light of Christ and we should let that light shine.

Our lives should be like that "glow in the dark" object. If we spend time in the light of God's word and spend time personally and intimately with Christ our light will shine. It will shine in the darkness and the darkness will not overcome it.

I think of Moses who was on Mt. Sinai for forty days and forty nights and received the second set of the Ten Commandment tablets. When he came down off the mountain his face was shining and he did not realize the skin of face was shining. He had been in the presence of our Holy God. His face shone.

Let's all be "glow in the dark" objects. Glowing because we have spent time in the presence of His word and basking in it, then letting it shine in the darkness all around us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A good point, well made!