Friday, July 17, 2009

The Pool of Bethesda

The pool of Bethesda found in John 5 is a bit of a mystery to us. It was a pool where a multitude of sick people would come to be healed. They would wait beside the water for an angel who went down to the pool at a certain time to stir the water. Then after stirring the water whoever stepped in first was made well of whatever disease he had.

There was a certain man who had an infirmity for thirty eight years. He told Jesus when Jesus asked if he wanted to be made well "I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up." Everyone kept getting into the pool ahead of him and he could not be healed because he couldn't get there first. Jesus said to him "Rise, take up your bed and walk." Immediately the man was made well, took up his bed and walked. Later Jesus told him, "See you have been made well. Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you."

As I pondered the pool of Bethesda I compared it to a medical facility with doctors and nurses as a place we all go to for healing purposes. The man at this pool placed all his hopes of healing in being able to get into the pool. Most of the time I am sure we all have a tendency to think the same way about the medical profession. If we could just get to the doctor or a better doctor we could be healed of this sickness, injury or emotional sickness. Like the man by the pool we place far too much hope in the doctor instead of Jesus. We forget that it is Jesus who heals our sickness and our sins.

I am not saying we shouldn't go to doctors for healing. We know that Jesus uses the medical profession for our healing. He is still the one who heals even if it is at the hand of the doctor. I am saying that we should always look to Him first for healing even as we seek out medical attention. Many times the Lord heals without the medical attention.

This past December my husband and I were in a serious accident and my right hand was severely damaged because of broken glass that was embedded into the back of my hand. I had surgery and many weeks of a cast before starting occupational therapy. Our medical care would only allow for 20 therapy sessions. Both the doctor and the therapist felt I would benefit from more therapy. However, it would not be covered. I was discouraged thinking I would not continue to get well and realized then I was looking to the doctor and therapist for the healing of my hand. I was not looking to Jesus who is the healer. I pray almost daily that the Lord would continue to heal my hand. There has been small improvement, but improvement and I thank Him daily for the use of my hand.

Sin and sickness is a part of life for absolutely every one of us. Christ died to heal our sins and our sicknesses. We live in a fallen world and will never be sinless or have perfect health but for those who believe in Him, He heals us in this life or the next as we go to be with Him in eternity where there is no pain or sickness.

From the common headache to severe illness ask the Lord to heal you.

Psalm 103:3 tells us it is the Lord "who forgives all your iniquities, who heals all your diseases."

No comments: