Friday, July 24, 2009

Safe in Christ

My husband is the director of Equipping Leaders International. It is an organization that travels to developing countries to train leaders - pastors, teachers and business men. I have had the privilege of traveling with him on many occasions. I have traveled with him to Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania and Mozambique teaching pastor's wives.

I was in Mozambique teaching a group of pastor's wives and there was a pastor who was translating for me. I was teaching from the first chapter of Ephesians about how the Lord chose us in Him before the foundation of the world. I was explaining about our eternal security in Christ because God was the one to place us in Him in the first place. It wasn't anything we did. I was, however, telling them that the devil can and will bring trials and tribulations into our lives to try to make us ineffective for the Lord. (We think we have trials but after spending time with these African women I gained a greater respect for what their daily trials and tribulations are.) The devil can never have us once we are in Christ but he can make it hard for us to bear fruit because we are so caught up in our trials. Then he gets what he wants because our testimony can be hindered.

As I continued speaking about eternal security I was in John 10 where Jesus is talking about being the Shepherd and the sheep hearing His voice. He said His sheep hear His voice and follow Him. Then in verse 28 He says, "And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand."

My translator was one of the fortunate ones to have some Bible training and as I quoted that verse my translator stopped, looked at me and said "huh"?. He then continued the translation through the end of the lesson. As the ladies were leaving he asked me about that verse and asked if I would give him the reference again. I believe this was the first time he really thought about his eternal security in Christ.

Many believers do not believe in eternal security. They believe they can fall from grace or backslide because of sin and therefore have to get "saved" all over again and place their faith and trust in Christ. The problem is that many think THEY are putting their faith and trust in Christ and do not accept the fact that God is the one who calls us and He is faithful. (I Thessalonians 5:24) He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)

Yes, the devil can lead us into temptation and we can give in to it and it becomes sin but we still have forgiveness in Christ because He died once and for all our sin and when we confess it we know He is faithful to forgive our sin.(I John 1:9)

To finish what Jesus said in John 10, "My father, who has given them to Me is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand. I and My Father are one." John 10:29,30.

It is my prayer that you would understand the joy of eternal security just as my translator did. It is God who does it and He is the one who will keep us.

By the way, If you would like to know more about Equipping Leaders International, please click the link on the right hand side which will take you to our website. We would appreciate your prayers for Equipping Leaders International.

1 comment:

Trish said...

Thanks for this reminder! Even though, I KNOW where my security lies, I also know that I often take this for granted and do not live joyfully as I should because of this.

P.S. We are glad to be here with you!! :)