Friday, July 10, 2009

Temptation or Victory

Very early in my new life of walking with Christ I began memorizing scripture. (Thanks to Wes and Janet Sperl wherever you are!)

One of the first scriptures I memorized was I Corinthians 10:13. "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it."

I used this scripture verse years ago when I had the habit of smoking cigarettes. I don't want to get into judgment as to whether smoking is biblical or unbiblical but I knew for me it was sin. I knew fellowship and worship with God's people was His will for me but my smoking habit kept me from wanting to be anywhere for two hours where I couldn't smoke. When I was tempted to give in to the old habit I quoted this verse to myself and prayed it to the Lord telling Him of my struggle and He miraculously took away any desire I had to smoke. I never touched it again.

This verse is still my favorite because I still wrestle with temptation in many different areas of my life and still depend on His word to give me the victory over it. Temptations come in all forms. I certainly don't need to list the various ways we face temptation. If you are a believer in Christ you know exactly what I mean. Satan, the devil, the evil one or whatever name he has is all summed up in this...he is the "deceiver." He will try to convince us any way he can that the temptation he is placing before us is not that big of a deal making it easier to give in to it or to be tempted to say "I just can't fight this."

John 10:28 tells us that no one will ever snatch us out of the Father's hand and that is good news. However, that does not mean that the "deceiver" will not continue to tempt us hoping we will fall bringing havoc and misery to us and keeping us from winning the victory in our battle with temptation.

Hiding God's word in our heart is the best way to fight off the "deceivers" attacks.
Christ himself used the word of God when He was tempted in the wilderness by the devil. Memorizing scripture is not a magic formula but it is the word of God. It is called the sword of the Spirit in Ephesians 6:17. We are to use it to fight the "deceiver".

I Corinthians 10:13 says there is no new temptation and it is common to all of us. We can never think ours is worse or different. Others have experienced the same temptations.

Whatever your battle is, use the word of God to fight the fight. Memorize particular scriptures that pertain to your struggle.

We may give in to the temptation and now it is sin but remember Christ died to give us new life and take away our sin now and forever. Confess your sin to Him. Then remember "As far as the east is from the west so far has he removed our transgressions from us." Psalm 103:12.

Depend on Him and He will do it!

No comments: