Friday, February 26, 2010

Do You Compare?

Have you ever noticed there are some people who live in beautiful homes, have great jobs, big boats, take cruises, have wonderful children and everything certainly looks pretty good for them? The interesting thing is that many people we know who fit this description do not know the Lord or even think about Him at all, yet they prosper. I have found myself somewhat envious of this kind of person. I understand why some of my Christian friends have been blessed with much but sometimes I struggle when I see those outside of Christ prospering while other Christians struggle.

The writer of Psalm 73 struggled with the same question. He admitted to being envious of the prosperity of the wicked. He noticed they didn't seem to have any problems. He says, "there are no pangs in their death, their strength is firm, they are not in trouble as other men, nor are they plagued like other men. Therefore pride serves as their necklace" (Psalm 73: 4-5).

I have looked on people and felt the same way as I know you have too at times. The Psalmist says, "Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I understood their end" (Psalm 73:17). He finally sees that these people will be brought down to desolation in a moment. He then goes on to say that his heart was grieved because of his foolishness and ignorance. He knows these people will eventually be brought down to destruction and they will perish but because of his faith in the Lord he will be guided by the Lord's counsel and received to glory. He says, "I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all Your works" (Psalm 73:28).

If you find yourself asking the same thing, read Psalm 73 and be reminded of the blessedness of those who trust in the Lord. A day in the presence of the Lord is worth more than years of living with worldly possessions without Him.

No comments: