Monday, February 22, 2010

From SAD to GAD

I have shared with you my struggle with SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder. If I am not careful, a few days without sunshine can change the way I handle difficult situations. I am more easily given to discouragement. I just found out there is another condition that is recognized today as GAD - Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It involves anxiety and worry that is excessive and unrelenting.

I was reading 1 Peter 5: 6-11 this morning. Peter talks about humbling ourselves under the mighty hand of God and casting our cares upon Him because He cares for us. I made a connection this morning in these passages I had not thought of before. After Peter tells us to cast our care upon Him he warns us in verse 8 "Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." If we allow ourselves to wallow in our worry and anxiety we are prime targets for the devil who takes every opportunity to tempt us and weaken our faith. It is during these times the devil will cause us to question God's care and love for us. Just this morning I exchanged an email with someone who was struggling with this very thing.

Peter then goes on to say "Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world" (1 Peter 5: 9). There is no new persecution, sorrow or pain that others have not experienced. There is no new temptation ( 1 Corinthians 10: 13). The suffering we do is to perfect, establish, strengthen and settle us. This is done by the God of all grace who called us to His eternal glory (1 Peter 5: 10).

Let's not use the excuse of SAD or GAD to keep us from living in the power of His love and care for us. Let's go to GOD.

No comments: