Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I Can Do that?

When we lived in Georgia I was a "DJ" at a Christian radio station. I did not have any formal training for the position. My husband found out about the position and encouraged me to apply for it. In my wimpy little ways I said "There is no way I can do that." "Yes you can", he says. It truly seemed an impossible task to me. Long story short, I applied for the position, got it and worked in Christian radio seven years before moving to Florida.

I was reading Matthew 21 one morning going through the account of Jesus cursing the fig tree and how it immediately withered away. The disciples were marveling about this as I am and asked why the fig tree withered away so soon. Jesus said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, 'Be removed and be cast into the sea,' it will be done. And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive"(Matthew 21: 22). Wow! It leaves me speechless.

I am not a theologian and will not get into all the particulars about whether or not one could wither a fig tree or cast mountains into the sea. However, I do believe Jesus is teaching us to have faith and believe in the power of prayer He has given to us as believers in Him. I believe we could accomplish a whole lot more than we do with respect to answered prayer. At times we probably spend more time thinking of reasons our prayers would not be answered instead of just praying. Our problem is not so much unanswered prayer for the big things we asked for. Our problem is praying for them and believing He can and will do it. I asked myself as I marvel at this passage if I am battling with unbelief and lack of faith? Is it Jesus' way of showing us that we can ask for things that seem impossible and then believing God can and will do them because we asked? We can do that!

No comments: